Here to help

Help and advice

We understand that losing a loved one is often unexpected and can be a huge shock. We’re here to take the pain out of the essential tasks which need to be done, and you can reach us 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Our mission is to nurture our grieving families and to take as much load off them throughout the funeral period as they allow. We will never push or insist. The feelings and desires of our families are paramount as we lead them through their great loss. 

If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to get in touch.

Who do I call?

The first steps to take when someone close to you dies

Registration of death

In order to secure a Death Certificate for your loved one, they will need to be registered with the NSW Registry of Births, Deaths & Marriages.

Who to notify

We’ve created a helpful list of people and organisations to notify when someone dies.

Dealing with grief

We can guide you in seeking professional counselling services and support groups to help you through your loss.

Frequently asked questions

It’s normal to have a lot of questions when it comes to arranging a funeral. We’ve answered some of the most common ones.

Help & Advice -

Let our professional team take the stress out of planning a funeral.

When you need a caring friendly family to lean on contact Greg or Talome at Collier Trenerry. They will support you all the way.

Who do I call?

Call the doctor

When an expected death occurs at home, in a public place or in a hospital, the first person to call is a doctor or palliative care nurse. They will confirm the death and sign the “medical certificate of cause of death”.

If someone dies in a hospital, the attending doctor will usually sign the “medical certificate of cause of death”.

Once the death has been confirmed, contact us to transfer your loved one from their place of death into our care. Once we have your loved one safe in our care then we can advise you of what the next steps are.

Without rush, we will stand beside you through the steps that need to be taken. With 100 years of experience we will gently carry you through the process of farewelling your loved one.

Call the coroner

If a death is unexpected, accidental or from non-natural causes, it must be reported to the coroner. This is normally done by the police, ambulance or hospital authority. 

Greg, Talome or Garry at Collier Trenerry can help you with this information. In many cases Collier Trenerry stands in the middle between families and the Coroner or Police, advising and relaying important information. Collier Trenerry has been the preferred Police contractor for over 30 years and has a wealth of experience and knowledge of Coronial cases.

Registration of death

Making it official

Once chosen as funeral directors, we’ll register the death with the NSW Registry of Births, Deaths & Marriages. This will make an official record of the death and provide you with a certified copy of the Death Certificate, essential when dealing with any related legal, financial or estate matters.

The Collier Trenerry team will lead you through this procedure. We will order the Death Certificate, have it securely mailed to Collier Trenerry and then check for spelling and information correctness and forward it onto you or your solicitor for estate purposes.

Essential information

In order for us to register a death, we need to ask you for some essential information. To complete the documentation, we’ll need:

  • Full name of the deceased
  • Date of birth and death
  • Place of birth and death
  • Marital status
  • Residential address of deceased
  • Occupation of deceased
  • Name and date of birth for all children (living, deceased or adopted)
  • Marriage details (location, date, age at marriage, spouse’s name)
  • Parents’ full names and occupations

Who to notify

When someone dies, there are many people and organisations who need to be notified. Collier Trenerry will be by your side before and after the funeral service to help you with any requirements that may help in any way.

  • Accident Insurance
  • Accountant
  • Ambulance Service
  • Australian Taxation Office
  • Banks
  • Building Societies
  • Centrelink General Enquiries (1800 050 004)
  • Age Pension Enquiries (1800 050 004)
  • Chemist
  • Church or Religious Organisation
  • Clubs, Organisations and Associations
  • Companies (eg Directorships)
  • Credit Card Providers
  • Credit Unions
  • Dentist
  • Department Veteran Affairs (1800 050 004)
  • Doctor, Specialist or Hospital
  • Electoral Office (1300 135 736)
  • Electricity
  • Employer/former Employer
  • Executor of Will
  • Financial Institutions or Loan Companies
  • Friendly Society
  • Gardening Services
  • Gas
  • Home Appliance Rental
  • Home and Contents Insurance
  • Home Delivery Service (eg Newspapers, Milk, Subscriptions)
  • Home Nursing Help
  • Household Help
  • Landlord
  • Life Insurance
  • Local Council
  • Meals on Wheels
  • Medicare (13 20 11)
  • Optometrist
  • Post Office
  • Private Health Benefit Fund
  • School or College
  • Service Organisations (eg Library)
  • Solicitor or Public Trustee
  • Superannuation Company
  • Telephone Company
  • Trade Unions or Professional Associations
  • Vehicle Insurance
  • Vehicle Registration RTA (13 22 13)
  • Veterinary Surgeon

Dealing with grief

Beyond blue

Grief is a natural response to loss. The more significant the loss, the more intense the grief is likely to be.

Grief is expressed in many ways and it can affect every part of your life; your emotions, thoughts and behaviour, beliefs, physical health, your sense of self and identity, and your relationships with others. Grief can leave you feeling sad, angry, anxious, shocked, regretful, relieved, overwhelmed, isolated, irritable or numb.

Grief has no set pattern. Everyone experiences grief differently. Through the process of grief, however, you begin to create new experiences and habits that work around your loss.

Counselling services

Collier Trenerry can guide you in seeking professional counselling services and support groups to help you through your loss.

Frequently asked questions

It’s normal to have a lot of questions when it comes to arranging a funeral. We’ve answered some of the most common ones here, but if you have any further questions please contact us.

Usually the first person to contact is a doctor, who can issue the death certificate. However, this might not be the case, depending on the circumstances of the death.

Yes. We’ll take you through the list of information we need in order to do this, and once the death is registered, the certified copy of the Death Certificate will arrive, usually within fourteen days. This is needed for legal, financial and estate matters.

We understand that it can be easier to discuss things in the comfort of your own home, so we can come to you to make arrangements. We’ll do whatever possible to make things easier for you at this difficult time.

It can be daunting when you have to start from scratch, and different people might have different ideas for the funeral. We have a wealth of experience in resolving things and can walk you through step-by-step the items to consider. Together we’ll create a funeral service fitting for your loved one.

Costs vary, depending on whether you choose a burial or cremation, the type of service and selected coffin or casket. We’ll work with you to tailor the funeral to your budget, and we can discuss payment options to help with the payment. 

Yes. We often arrange civil ceremony services, and we can also offer a service to suit the beliefs and background of the deceased person.

We can talk you through the options available, including graveside, church, chapel, family home, locations of cultural or religious service, or an event venue such as a golf course, football field, etc.

Yes. Our Collier Trenerry Private Chapel has seats for 160 people. Our Collier Trenerry Hall and kitchen facilities can be used for the wake, and has space to host up to 150 people.

We have extensive experience in creating funerals which are unique and personal. We can talk you through ideas such as music, poetry, readings, photo presentations and memorabilia displays. For something different we also offer the release of doves, horse-drawn vehicles and more. There is no limit to what we can do to make your funeral special. 

Timings vary depending on the type of funeral and disposition, but generally anywhere between 24 hours and 7 days.

We’ll appoint you a dedicated funeral coordinator, so that you have a single point of contact throughout the arrangement process. We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, to make things as easy as possible.

Our approach

We pride ourselves on our professional approach. Find out more about how we care for families today, tomorrow and beyond.

Meet the team

Get to know the caring and dedicated staff who are part of the Collier Trenerry family.

Our history

For 100 years we’ve been serving the local Griffith community and beyond. Learn more about our story and how we’ve evolved.

Disbursements (outside costs paid on your behalf)

  • Certified Copy of Death Certificate (subject to State Registration) $100
  • Attending Practicioner's Cremation Form $100
  • Government Medical Referee Cremation Form $100
  • Cremation Certificates $220
  • Burial (Local Council Fees) Charges subject to cemetery

    Burial fees vary between cemeteries. For example, Gunbar $750+gst, Griffith $3039.64+gst.

  • Cremation Charges subject to crematorium chosen, approximately $880
  • Floral Arrangements Subject to personal choice
  • Repatriation Services Subject to repatriation country
  • Media Notices and Announcements Subject to Radio Station and Newspaper
  • Funeral Celebrant Subject to Denomination OR Celebrant Starting from $275

Costs outlined are GST inclusive.

Coffin or Casket Costs

Many people regard the coffin or casket as an important tribute to the deceased and they are therefore selected with care. The difference is basically one of design. A Coffin has a tapered head and foot and are wide at the shoulders, with a removable lid. A Casket is a rectangular shape with a hinged lid. Caskets are usually constructed of better quality timbers and feature higher standards of workmanship. 

  • Caskets & Coffins Ranging in price from $900 - $5000

Costs outlined are GST inclusive.

Funeral Services available at Collier Trenerry

  • Essential care and preparation of deceased $330
  • Transfer of deceased from Hospital, Nursing or Private Home to Collier Trenerry $330
  • Holding of the body in our mortuary facilities No charge

    Collier Trenerry's mortuaries are located in Wagga Wagga (Wagga Wagga Council Cemetery & Crematorium) and Parkes (Central West)

  • Viewing of deceased in our Chapel No charge
  • Viewing of deceased at family home (after hours) Starting from $330
  • Viewing of deceased prior to burial or cremation $300 - $400
  • Funeral Directing Service Starting from $3960

    Includes venue hire. Hire varies depending on the venue chosen. Church venues range from no charge to $400.

  • Least expensive package provided by Collier Trenerry is Direct Cremation $4700
  • Transport prior to burial or cremation in our state of the art hearse No charge

Costs outlined are GST inclusive.